Some recent recordings

maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 5:13 am
So this past week during rehearsal for my band, I had an "on night" despite the fact that our other guitar player couldn't make it. I haven't posted here in a long time, so for those of you that might wonder what I've been up to, here's an update :).

Normally our other guitar player takes the first solo in La Grange, but I thought I take a shot at it. I thought it was pretty good for completely winging it. On the outro solo, I hit what seemed like a bum note and I thought "hmmm, let me make it seem like I meant it", so I repeated the phrase. It was sort of bluesy/jazzy sounding. I thought it was cool.

Anybody that's followed my "blues jams" will hear some familiar things, but this is new territory...new sound and new attitude! I'm amazed at what I've been able to accomplish in a year...I can't image what I'll be doing another year from now :).

Happy listening!

https://app.box.com/s/ty98c4unqqq8ou1ujund
https://app.box.com/s/elp2srrgpzhggrga8i8u
https://app.box.com/s/f1mqa4py11wpja86lxlb
https://app.box.com/s/z2py1lc0xvjtnf1tuh4w
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/20/2014 5:38 am
Have you thought about using a volume pedal or even a compressor for the solos?

The reason I ask is because everything sounds great except for the volume once in a while. Some parts get a little too quite. So the good news is that this is an easy fix!
# 2
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 5:46 am
Thanks for listening.

I'm using a multi effect pedal at the moment...GT-100. I'm using an EQ in the GT-100 for volume boost. I'm also using reverb and the TubeScreamer in the pedal.

I haven't considered using a compressor...I may try that.

This is just a rehearsal recording. When we rehearse, I put my Tascam audio recorder on a chair. The recordings are really meant to help us individually know what's working or not working.

On the outro solo for La Grange, I was purposely playing quieter in parts to build up some drama. The problem was I was starting to feel like "OK, you've gone on long enough" and felt the need to wrap it up. I could have gone on a lot longer because I felt like I hit a groove, like something was happening...but I'm not so sure my bandmates appreciate long excursions on solos :).
# 3
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/20/2014 10:35 am
Yeah I understand. And it's not like it was super noticeable, it was really the only thing I could point out that could use room for improvement. But the playing was awesome!
# 4
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777Yeah I understand. And it's not like it was super noticeable, it was really the only thing I could point out that could use room for improvement. But the playing was awesome!

Wow, thanks!!! I appreciate that...I really do :).

Something that struck me listening again today is there are a bunch of runs in La Grange that I nailed that in the past I would fumble through. Goes to show what keeping at it and continuing to work it can do for you.

Now I need to make sure I don't abuse these new runs I can do :).
# 5
compart1
compart1
12/20/2014 3:37 pm
How ya doing Rich..
the links.. took me to a place I've never been before.. no ticky no shirthty.. Didn't get to listen..
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/20/2014 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAnybody that's followed my "blues jams" will hear some familiar things, but this is new territory...new sound and new attitude! I'm amazed at what I've been able to accomplish in a year...I can't image what I'll be doing another year from now :).

Happy listening!

Happy listening is right! You are making great progress. You phrasing is getting tighter, more complete. Well done!

Don't let a couple of bum notes worry you or slow you down. Practice & jam sessions like this are exactly for stretching out, taking chances, testing your limits.

Thanks for posting! Good stuff. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 10:32 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1How ya doing Rich..
the links.. took me to a place I've never been before.. no ticky no shirthty.. Didn't get to listen..

I'm doing well, thanks.

That's odd that you couldn't get to the files. Can you try again? I double checked the links and they are correct and other people could get to them.

Perhaps box.com was having a problem...if so it wouldn't be the first time :).

They are also on soundcloud. If this continues to be a problem, I can put the soundcloud links here.
# 8
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelHappy listening is right! You are making great progress. You phrasing is getting tighter, more complete. Well done!

Don't let a couple of bum notes worry you or slow you down. Practice & jam sessions like this are exactly for stretching out, taking chances, testing your limits.

Thanks for posting! Good stuff. :)

Wow, thanks Chris!! :). I feel like I've made great progress and I'm glad to know it shows.

I learned a while ago not to sweat bum notes...especially in a situation like this. Though there are much fewer now :).

What I'm really looking forward to is getting this stuff in front of alive audience!!

Thanks for the feedback.
# 9
haghj500
haghj500
12/20/2014 10:52 pm
Before I reply to this thread I need to thank axe2 and Jeffs65. Reading Jeffs65’s reply to bbzswa777 “original piece” thread today made me realize I do not have to speak to the style or speed of the playing for my opinion to maybe be worthwhile to the poster of the music. Reading bbzswa777 reply to Jeffs65 simple comment “I can hear you subconsciously count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4” opened my mind and also helped me learn something today. So I guess I should be thanking bbzswa777 also.

Maggior,
Wow, your lead skills have improved greatly since your last post. I can hear your lack of having to think about “how or what you want to do with this bend” they seem to flow from you now. So the overall flow of your leads has changed.

I think you can improve your ZZTOP leads by adding 2 string bends to your bag of tricks, just like single string bends they are hard to do at first, but are well worth the time in the long run. If you come down from a big bend and then grab a 2 string bend like he does a lot, you will open your field of expression and Dynamics in your leads. The added volume of the second string being stricked at the same time will change the dynamics but only for the moments you hold both strings. Another thing he does I’m not hearing is he will pre-bend a string before striking it and uses a slower speed to bring it back down to the open note. It has a great bluesy feel and sound. Another trick would be to start with it pre-bent then pick it a few time on the way back down.

It is interesting listening to the difference in your lead flow while you play I shot the sheriff. I can hear you connect to that song “inside” more than the ZZTOP song. Maybe you just have more hours of practicing the I shot the sheriff lead so it flows with less thought.

I don’t remember if I got this from this site or some thread on youtube. If you tap your foot while playing only tap your foot on the 2 and 4 beats. I find it changes my timing and notes picked to play. Give it a try it is kind of enlightening.

Side note of curiosity have you been trying to play lead with your eyes closed?
# 10
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 11:03 pm
Hey Haghj500 -

Thanks so much for your feedback! We've only recently started rehearsing La Grange and have been rehearsing I Shot the Sheriff for 2 months now. I'm still getting Gibbons style down.

Actually, the other guitar player plays the first solo, but I improvised something for it that night just so we could do the song. I know the opening part and faked the rest.

Double stop bends are very cool. You are right that they play into his style. I actually can do them, so I will definitely start adding some of that.

Yes, I do play with my eyes closed sometimes. I don't think about it, I just do it. For some reason, when I do the lead in for the solo on "Day Tripper", I have to close my eyes otherwise I fumble hitting wrong strings and stuff.

Prebends are something I like to do also. For some reason I tend to use those in lower tempo solos.

You've given me a good number of things to consider and think about...thanks for that!! What's cool is I already the a skills for these elements, I just need to incorporate them more. I do tap my foot, but on all 4 beats. I'll try it on the 2 and the 4 also.
# 11
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/21/2014 9:27 am
Hey Rich, Glad you're back on the Forum again - 'cos these tracks show what we've been missing! Excellent stuff. I particularly liked the stinging sound of the upper registers in the La Grange outro, and the so-called bum note actually makes a great feature when you repeat it deliberately. It reminds me of the sort of thing Jeff Beck does often. Plus a great use of the wah wah in the Cream number. I really enjoyed listening! Best wishes, Steve
# 12
maggior
maggior
12/21/2014 2:52 pm
Thanks a bunch for the feedback Steve!

I've gotten "mixed reviews" on the bum note part. It's a G# resolving to a G in the Am pentatonic, so it's definitely out of key. The way I play it though it's like a grace note.

Still listening to it I like it the way it is. It's not something I'd do all of the time, but I think it created interest.

You mention Jeff Beck...not a bad guy to emulate :). For me, it reminded me of when a singer will start singing a different song or a guitarist will quote a phrase from other music. It sort of steps out from the music.
# 13
fretsmith
fretsmith
12/21/2014 7:20 pm
Couldn't say it any better than CS +1. Always enjoy your posts.
# 14
RGX312l
RGX312l
12/22/2014 1:15 am
Hello Rich,

Very refreshing to listen to clean playing gtr. The various samples gave me the feeling of back-to-roots and it definitely conveys emotions more clearly and directly.

Cheers and keep Rocking!

RGX312L

PS: Thanks for your encouragement on my War Pigs cover.
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.