What is the musicians role in society?

harts
harts
07/25/2000 4:24 am
QUESTIONS:

1) What do you think musician's wish to achieve in today's society?

2) How do you think music influences/effects the public? Which part of the public in particular?

3) How has music changed over the last ten years?

4) Are today's musician's responsible moral citizens? Should they be morally correct, Brady Bunch like? Why?

# 1

07/25/2000 4:40 am
quote:
Originally posted by harts:
QUESTIONS:

1) What do you think musician's wish to achieve in today's society?

Most wish to be popular and make money. Some just wish to make good music. I guess I am a little of both.

quote:
2) How do you think music influences/effects the public? Which part of the public in particular?

I think it can make a person happy or sad or excited. I don't believe it causes someone to kill someone else. I listen to music that promotes violence and I have not killed anyone.

quote:
3) How has music changed over the last ten years?

Not much. The 80's still had some music that was just like the boy bands that we have now, it was a different type of music. Some artists make music that can be appreciated just like some do now.

quote:
4) Are today's musician's responsible moral citizens? Should they be morally correct, Brady Bunch like? Why?

They should be who they are, morally correct or not.

# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/25/2000 6:37 am
I believe music is the ultimate force to reckon with. I believe it can manipulate a person in any way, including manipulating them to kill. I don't think such music has been created thus far that would make a person do such a thing, but it's possible. In the capable hands of the right (or wrong) person, music can have some serious effects on the mass public because as we all know - a person is smart, but people are stupid, wild, and panic easily. Try not to be led astray by the manipulators.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
07/25/2000 6:59 am
I think what a musician is different for everyone. Some want money. Some do it for music. Others, for attention. Most do it for any combonation of those. I don't like the idea of any superstar, musician, actor, sportsstar etc. being looked up to for moral guidance. Music changing over the past 10 years... in 10 years MTV has gotten quite popular and has, I belive, made pop music more about image than talent. I think that's a horrible thing, when a perfectly good musician has trouble making it because he doesn't look right, or cool, and then any jackass with cool clothes and a midget can make mad cash.
# 4
Bofatron
Bofatron
07/25/2000 3:27 pm
check out this article on guitar and politics
http://www.stringdancer.net/members/guitar/jumpman/politics.shtml

bofa http://guitarsoc.homestead.com
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/31/2000 12:15 am
I don't put that much thought into it. The way I figure it is if I write and play what's on my mind, then I'm doing what musicians are supposed to do. I think people listen to what they want to hear most of the time, so I try and play what they need to hear, and hope they catch on.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
07/31/2000 2:38 am
I play guitar for my own pleasure... it helps me relax, and if by doing something i like to do, I make other people happy, or amke money, great, all the better, but if not, as long as im happy, ill keep playing.

------------------
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.