New Instrument

Paramedic102
Paramedic102
12/02/2014 3:53 am
Well I made the plunge and purchased a used 5 string banjo. Gonna start working on the forward, backward and alternating rolls in open G. Then maybe pick some songs up from there.

I have been playing in a church band here for almost a year now. The hardest part for me is playing in time with them. It seems most of the time I out of sync with the wrest of the group. I can only hear out of one ear and so hearing things is sometimes difficult. It is almost embarrassing for me. When I'm at home I can play in time with the site lessons and songs and play in time with other resources I use. Anyone have any suggestions.
# 1
Firehose20
Full Access
Firehose20
Full Access
12/05/2014 7:27 pm
I'm a Paramedic to... My suggestion to you for your dilemma is to face the band as much as possible without turning your back to the audience, or, position yourself as close to the drummer as possible. Bill
# 2
Paramedic102
Paramedic102
12/05/2014 7:30 pm
Placing myself on the other side of the bad is not a bad idea. Standing on the right side of the band with my deaf ear towards them maybe why I'm not hearing the timing clearly. For December I'm working Sunday's again. I'll have to try this in January.
# 3
guitarslasheremail
guitarslasheremail
02/15/2015 4:22 pm
No shame in wanting to be a better player if that you requires to "Watch" the other musicians while you play. I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse once and they didn't take their eyes off each other all night. They never turned their back to the audience but found a happy medium between keeping eye contact with each other and the audience
# 4
Mystracing
Mystracing
02/23/2015 10:51 pm
Maybe it isn't you that is having trouble.

I was playing at church for a while as a beginner. The first three times I played I really struggled with keeping in time. The forth time I asked a friend who has been playing for years to come play. He informed me that my issue wasn't me, it was the drummer that couldn't keep in time.

The next week I wasn't playing, so I really paid attention to the drummer. He was singing and switching to drumming the melody and then back to the rhythm. Once my friend pointed it out it became pretty obvious why I couldn't stay in time.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.