View post (Scales, My Journey, Where am I going?)

View thread

icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
11/28/2014 2:05 am
I've been playing guitar for about 6-7 months now. I've made a ton of progress from this site, from playing with friends and youtube.

My fingers have thick pads for hours of playing, I have the hand strength and finesse for barre chords. I know enough to create some of my own songs/sounds mostly using chords as well as arpeggiating the chords so it's not monotonous. I have acoustic and electric guitars. I've learned a ton about my gear and how to get the sounds I want out of it.

That's all great stuff, but I've hit a wall. My experienced friends can't seem to help me all that much because they learned everything 10-30 years ago. They don't think about playing guitar...they just play it.

I need to learn scales. The obvious answer is hey go learn them, but they seem like a big mountain that i'm standing in front of needing to climb. I have no idea which ledge I should grab first.

To me scales look like random spots across the fret board that are connected at random. I do understand some music theory and why the notes mesh the way they do. My dad has a bachelors in music and is an avid pianist and he's been able to help me.

There's a billion different scales for so many genres. Im not entirely interested in the offbeat ones. I'm fine with that, but which one do I start with? Major? Minor? Pentatonic? Which one of them is going to take me the farthest. Which keys should I pick? Do people really memorize them all or is there some kind of trick to it? I don't have a clue where my time should be spent. Hey maybe I should be memorizing the notes on the fretboard before I continue.

I don't know where I'm going with my music. I think I want to have a band or at least a group of people I can play with regularly for fun. I wouldn't know what genre I would play as I pretty much love everything. There's hardly much of list of genres/sub-genres of music I don't like. I do know that ever since I picked up a guitar 7 months ago i've been obsessed and I love it. Maybe some of you could direct me.