Scale question

Svanholm
Svanholm
11/24/2014 9:20 pm
If I have a backing track that goes on with only playing, lets say A minor.

If I wana solo over that, can I use the scale for 1,4 and 5 notes? In this case, A scale, D scale and E scale?
# 1
bayoubilt
bayoubilt
11/24/2014 11:10 pm
The notes that sound the best are the notes in the key. In A minor that would be the notes A B C D E F G. You can add an E Flat to the scale to make it a blues scale if you like. When there is only one chord playing in the backing track it's called a Vamp. A Vamp is useful to get use to whatever key your getting familiar with or practicing. Any combination of these notes sound good. The thing to learn is a lick that fits over the vamp. There are 3 arpeggios that work well with that chord. They are Aminor = ACEG E minor = EGBD and B minor = BDFA

You can play from any note of the scale. Ex. From D - DEFGABC
From E - EFGABCD. If you play every other note from any note in the scale you have the arpeggio. Ex. A b C d E f G = ACEG
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/25/2014 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmIf I have a backing track that goes on with only playing, lets say A minor.

Do you mean just an A minor chord? Or are there chord changes & they are in the key of A minor?

In general, you want to pick a scale (or scales) that work with all the notes in all the chords being used. Then you target chord tones as the chords happen.

I cover this in depth & detail in my Intro to Improv tutorials! The last one is specifically in the key of A minor!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=876
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=483
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=491
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Svanholm
Svanholm
11/25/2014 3:47 pm
Does it matter in the case? If there is a 12 bar blues with chord changes in key of Aminor or just simple Aminor with no chord change.

Will take a look at those videos.
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/26/2014 2:26 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmDoes it matter in the case? If there is a 12 bar blues with chord changes in key of Aminor or just simple Aminor with no chord change.

Ultimately, you can & should play whatever notes you like the sound of.

Music theory is a method for organizing musical ideas. It can help you understand why certain notes in certain combinations create certain sounds.

It won't replace you as the aesthetic chooser, deciding how you want it to sound. :) That's why we experiment with different note orders, chord tones & rhythmic phrases.

Even players that only go by sound are using the ideas of scales, keys, targeting chord tones. They just don't know the names of those things. They only know them as certain fretboard patterns make certain sounds. Identifying & mentally organizing those patterns & sounds can help you understand them better. That what's music theory is.

My tutorials will give you a great place to start to understand how to approach improv & how to experiment & start making your own choices! Have fun with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Svanholm
Svanholm
11/26/2014 7:28 pm
Hm. Im starting to get a hang on this music theroy you guys are talking about. ;)

Thanks Chris
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.