order of effects

LeftSide
LeftSide
06/09/2002 6:26 am
right now i have my effects in this order:

Guitar, crybaby wah, Boss ph-3 phaser, Boss Bf-2 flange, Dd-5 delay, amp + amp distortion. if i added a compressor, a DOD ring modulator, a Boss Mt-2 metal zone , and an MXR phase 90, what order should my effects be in? im thinking of how im going to arrange my effects onto a pedal board and i need to know what order they should go in...

or

option 2: find a multi effects unit that serves the same purpose as all this stuff... im thinking a Boss Gt-6 are those any good? what else should i look at?
# 1
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
06/14/2002 7:38 pm
Option 1: I'd go:

Guitar
Compressor
Wah
Ring mod? Not sure where to put this...
Metalzone (you might want an EQ to go with the metalzone)
Then, if your amp has an FX loop, go to the amp at this point and put the rest in the FX loop, otherwise ignore this bit.
Flanger
Phasers (any order)
Delay

One interesting option with the two phasers is to put the one you like less before the distortion for a different sound.

As for using a multiFX, yes, the GT-6 is an excellent choice, particularly if your amp has an FX loop or is pretty clean sounding.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 2
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/15/2002 9:04 am
Dot!!!!!

Howdy, you cam eover here.

BTW Some people like their compression after the OD to be used as a constant vol control. when you pick softer it cleans up but remains at same vol, it's pretty cool.
Then there was sound
# 3
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
06/15/2002 11:26 am
Hi mister. That's a nice idea with the compressor - I might try that myself...
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 4
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/15/2002 4:31 pm
I picked up from try Anastasio's rig.
Someone posted this in a Phish page:

Brad Sarno posted (1/20/98): "I hear so much talk abou Trey's amp but really, for the most part his tone gets formed well before the amp. The most overlooked device of all is the Ross (not Boss) compressor pedal. In my opinion it is THE secret weapon of his tone. If you ever plug into one you will go "aaaaah". There is no other compressor that sounds like that. It is this pedal that lets Trey go from a single note to a full chord and have it all come out full and even and sustaining. His guitar doesn't really sustain that well, but with the compressor he can add sustain and also induce feedback easier. The key also is that the tube screamers come before the compressor. This lets Trey turn on a tube screamer, turn down the guitar volume to control the distortion level, and the compressor keeps the overall volume nice and loud and even. This is probably why he gets away with having the Tubescramer's volume on 10 without sounding so loud when he kicks it on. This evenness that the compressor provides, lets Langudoc keep him real hot in the PA without fear of suddenly getting too loud."
Then there was sound
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
06/16/2002 3:32 am
It can also be useful to put the compressor after a wah to help even out the volume peaks that occur as you move trough the frequencies. Of course, you might like those changes in volume, but it can be useful to flatten it out a bit.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.