Reading advanced tablature

Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
11/10/2014 8:41 pm
Just wondering if GT might put on a lesson or two about advanced tablature (?). Thanks to you guys, I've reached the stage where I can buy sheet music and make a reasonable stab at reading the tablature. But some of the notation is much more complex than the simple examples in the currently-available GT guidance on tablature. An added problem is that different music publishers sometimes use different symbols for the same action. It would be great if one of the tutors could clarify some of the more-obscure tab meanings and demonstrate what they should sound like. Anyway - just a suggestion. It may be that I'm the only person with this problem! Thanks, Steve
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
11/10/2014 10:44 pm
I'm guessing the problem you're having is that many of the internet's tab keys have different symbols due to people having to be able to type these symbols. but many of the Hal Leonard song books I've purchased have tab keys in the back of the book. Guitar World John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom probably has the most complete one I've seen in the back. And it's a really great book.
# 2
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
11/11/2014 8:16 am
Hi bbzswa. Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely check out the book you mention. Yours, Steve
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/11/2014 2:46 pm
Good to hear you are working on reading music! Kudos to you. :)
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowIt would be great if one of the tutors could clarify some of the more-obscure tab meanings and demonstrate what they should sound like.

This is an interesting idea! Can you reply with a specific list of some you've encountered? I'd be willing to considering doing something like this but it would be good to include as many examples as possible to make it a good comprehensive overview.

Most publishers will indeed put a key or legend to the tab notation symbols. But only if it's in a whole book. Often they don't go to that much trouble with individual songs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.