So much tension :(

caponi14
caponi14
10/09/2014 6:44 am
Hey guys, i just saw another guy writing a thread on alternate picking... I really have a problem with this. My picking style over the years have developed into something not good it seems. I can play some fast stuff, but mostly use a mix of picked notes, hammer ons, and pulloffs. check this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh379kD_lDE&list=UUdvo8i_aYTdE2d3D5DSwX6Q)

BUT, there is this song here which made me realise that something is wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRaDQBMMbrM

At the verse riff especially, i can't keep going for more than max 7-8 seconds at full speed before my whole picking arm becomes super tense, and the speed drops so i can't keep up.
I have tried everything to fix my picking issue, but everything I do I fail at.. I simply can't get to a proper level of speed when alternate picking, some people would even say that this song i linked aint even fast. And when i watch people play a cover of it on youtube, they don't even seem to struggle with the picking at all. What can i do :( i feel like i don't even want to play any more if I can't fix this thing....
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/09/2014 9:57 pm
You're finding out your endurance is not up to snuff. This happens to every guitarist I would imagine. I tire out faster alternate picking the low E string rather than the higher strings. What I would do is set your metronome to a comfortable speed and simply alternate pick the low strings (don't even worry about your fretting hand). Then slowly speed up to the tempo of the song until you can continue alternate picking for a couple minutes without getting tired. Don't hold your pick tighter than you have to. I should be able to walk up to you and gently pull the pick out of your fingers. Any tighter than that is too tight.

Good luck!

~Rusty
# 2
caponi14
caponi14
10/10/2014 8:22 am
I have tried that, and i can pick pretty fast. if i don't play any notes while doing it, it seems to be going fine, if i then add notes i become tense very fast.
Also i think it's the way i pick that something is wrong with. If i don't play any notes and do fast alternate picking. i don't become very tense and the picking seems different. Less movement and better handplacement. If i add my left hand and play something, my picking changes into a type of pick attack where i almost pick vertically and jumping onto the different strings with less effeciency. Check out the video, i think it's noticeable.
# 3
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/10/2014 9:13 pm
That means you're playing the song too fast. You have to slow it down to where you can play it relaxed like you do without fretting notes. Then gradually speed it up. I recommend downloading The Amazing Slow Downer. You can slow down any song or speed it up (from 1% speed to 200% speed). That way you can play along with it at half speed and then slowly work your way up. I do that with every song now.
# 4
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/12/2014 3:47 am
Here's something that might help you:

http://tomhess.net/HowToTremoloPickFastOnGuitar.aspx

This guy is an awesome player. But his lessons are way too expensive for my taste.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.