View post (Prejudice against certain techniques/styles)

View thread

SJWeissen
Full Access
SJWeissen
Full Access
10/08/2014 8:33 pm
Personally I think many of ideas Marty expresses in his Full Shred videos are great and mostly true but tend to be over the head or above the skill level of many people, myself included. I don’t know if you kept watching that video or have seen others in the series, but for the most part his message is do your own thing. Almost all of the Full Shred videos he repeats over and over you have to find your own style. I think he is aiming most of the videos not at beginning students but at fairly accomplished players. His point is if you simply practice exercises over and over for speed but never explore putting your own spin on it you’re just a robot not a musician. I find his main point in most of these videos is technique is necessary but not the end goal. I think many of his videos are mis-titled Like the one linked too “How to play fast arpeggios without sweep picking”. The video isn’t going to teach you to play fast arpeggios with or without sweep picking, but teach you to get out of your box and labels once you have can already physically play those things.