View post (Prejudice against certain techniques/styles)

View thread

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/08/2014 2:27 am
Hi everyone!

I wanted to get some of your input about this subject: I've been noticing more and more how many players have this prejudice against certain techniques: mainly sweep picking and playing fast in general. I've heard quite a few players talk about how "Anyone who sweep picks is lame," "Or, that technique is a waste of time; anyone can learn it if they take the time."

But it seems to me that many people who say this CANNOT do the technique themselves. So is it just jealousy? I understand how it might be a bit much if an entire song is made up of sweeps, but adding in a few sweeps here and there in a song or solo sounds amazing! And isn't that what it's all about? What sounds good? "If it sounds good, it IS good."

To get an idea of what i'm talking about, watch this video of Marty Friedman talking about this. Listen to what he says starting at 1:02 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkb4pxOc30

Who is he to say what's lame? Everyone has their own preference and taste. And it seems like if someone is worried about what OTHER guitarists will think of them, they're not in it for the right reasons.

~Rusty