exercise all 4!

09/29/2014 4:22 pm
Thought i would share this cool exercise!
Ok bare with me here. You can start this on any fret,and its good to do them on all frets,but for now will start with the 7 the fret.:
Place your index finger on the 7 fret, middle finger on 8 fret,ring finger on 9 and pinky on 10 fret. Not so bad huh.
So now you have all four fingers placed on the low e string. Now place ur index finger on the 7 fret of the a string,while keeping the other 3 fingers planted on the 6 string . now do the same with middle finger drop it to 8 fret on a string. Ect one finger at a time.the key thing here is to drop one finger at a time,while the others fingers remain on the string above.

You can do all down strokes.
Its a great exercise for dexterity finger strength.
Keep in mind you need it to sound clean ,no muffles.
Have fun and i hope i explained well enough. Cheers!
# 1
maggior
maggior
09/29/2014 5:10 pm
This is a great exercise. Even though it's not "musical", it helps develop independent movement of the fingers. I saw an instructional video from John Petrucci who goes over some of this too.

Skills like this really help with chord transitions and developing speed and economy of motion for soloing. The idea is to only move the fingers that need to move. It's feels really awkard at first, but it is very rewarding further down the road.
# 2

09/29/2014 5:47 pm
Yeah man i struggled with this at first. Very awkward to do at first. But well worth it imo.
Thanks rich,much better said!.

As you all know my writing skills su#ke. Thanks buddy!
I seen it along time ago on,justinguitar.com.
# 3

09/29/2014 6:40 pm
Joe satriani has a great warm up exercise.
Place ur index on first fret of the a string,place ur middle fg on second fret on d string ,place ring fg on third fret g string place pinky on b string fourth fret.strike it then do the turn around. Same pattern but now u put ur pinky on a 4ftet, ring d 3 fret, middle g 2 fret ,and index bstring first fret. Its a bit of a finger twister.
# 4
maggior
maggior
09/29/2014 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2Yeah man i struggled with this at first. Very awkward to do at first. But well worth it imo.
Thanks rich,much better said!.

As you all know my writing skills su#ke. Thanks buddy!
I seen it along time ago on,justinguitar.com.

You got the point across...that's all that matters!! I didn't mean to correct what you were saying...just wanted to point out other great players that suggested similar things.
# 5

09/29/2014 10:13 pm
No it aint like that rich,its all good!
I was really thanking you. Im not sore.
Your my friend . I appreciate you chiming in..
What do you think about the warm up exercise?
# 6
maggior
maggior
09/30/2014 1:37 pm
OK, cool!! All good :-).

The warmup exercise from Satriani is a good one too. More finger indepenence with some stretching your fingers out also.

I see the value in doing stuff like this, but honestly they bore me to death. Maybe I'm impatient, or want to make better use of my limited practice time, but I perfer working on songs. It probably would have been better for me to have discovered stuff like this 20 years ago.

I use exercises like this as a self check. If I have a problem, I'll find a song that has similar difficult fingering that's foriegn to me and work it through.

Though I should probably listen to guys like Satch and Petrucci...they sort of know what they are doing :-).
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.