Sliding string sideways

maiduguri
maiduguri
09/14/2014 9:18 am
A problem I have always had is that when I have to change a chord by moving just one finger, usually my ring finger, I slide the string that I land on sideways making it likely that I accidentally damp the adjacent string. I have tried so many things to rectify this but it still happens. I should add that I like playing finger style. Any advice on how to overcome this will be very welcome.

Thanks, Maiduguri
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/14/2014 6:16 pm
Originally Posted by: maiduguriA problem I have always had is that when I have to change a chord by moving just one finger, usually my ring finger, I slide the string that I land on sideways making it likely that I accidentally damp the adjacent string.

It sounds like you need to improve your dexterity & tension.

Any chord change or finger placement motion from one position to another requires enough repetition that it becomes second nature to do. For chord changes that are more problematic than other, becoming trouble spots, you need to isolate that one physical motion & repeat it over & again during practice sessions.

Simply repeat the chord change. Don't play through the whole piece or chord progression. Finger a chord, pluck or strum it then move your fingers to the next chord. Pluck or strum that chord once & repeat.

Another thing is to improve your tension. Often missed notes & accidental muting are the result of using not enough pressure or too much. You need to experiment to find just the right amount of pressure required to make a note or chord to ring. Not enough pressure and you get sloppy sounds, too much is wasted effort & makes it hard to get from chord to the next on time cleanly & efficiently .

Relax, be patient & work slowly on repeating the physical motions necessary to get the chord changes clean! Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.