Flamed - Quilted Finishes

fmarty
fmarty
06/03/2002 6:52 pm
I have another beginner type question. I'm wondering how the flamed and quilted finishes are done. I'm assuming that this isn't natural wood grain. Is it a sanding process or how is this done. Why is a quilted finish so expensive? Thanks in advance for any responses! FM
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
06/04/2002 1:29 pm
No, it is the wood grain, it usally isn't the natural color but it is the natural grain, I have a flame maple top on my tele style guitar. The flame, stripe, quilt grain of maple is not found in every log, thats part of the reason it costs more, the other part is that it looks cool and everybody wants it. The finishes put on flame tops is usally tinted laquer or dye stains and clear laquer, the idea is to bring out the grain but not hide it. Also fancy woods are graded for clarity and figure, A, AA, AAA, and their are many different species that have unique figure but maple seems to be the most popular for guitars, maybe because it's one of the less expensive species, check out the price on some flamed Koa,... I hope that answers your questions, have you checked out some of the different wood options at
http://www.warmoth.com
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.