View post (Guitarstyle debate)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
10/13/2014 5:44 pm
Philosophical Rant: We all have "favorite" players, "idols", and "influences". They all share the same mechanics: a full-step bend for Gilmour is exactly the same as a full-step bend for Slash. A (insert any technique here) for Angus is exactly the same as that same technique for John Mayer. All these techniques are the mechanics tools these great guitarists use to make what they hear in their head ... come out of a speaker. I relate my favorite players to my favorite authors. Two different authors might have the same context for a story in their head but their respective books will be different because their approach/styles are different and they use their own unique perspectives to relate what is in their head ... to the reader (listener).
Casper I don't relate to the "ugh" you feel when your fav guitarist presents a new body of work. I know when I read a book from my favorite author my anticipation for the next offering begins the moment I read the last sentence.
I'm sure most of us have been to a (for example) Pink Floyd tribute band that was really good... the guitar player does absolutely spot-on playing with a perfectly replicated tone. Is that satisfying? Yeah, that's a fun hear. Does it compare with going to a Gilmour show and hearing the actual "author" deliver those exact same notes? Hell no, not even close. The real magic comes from being *in the presence of the author*. That's why, for me, although buckethead arguably played Slash's stuff (live) truer to the recordings than Slash himself... I would still much, much rather see/hear Slash play "Slash's stuff". Same reason people stand in line for hours at a book signing. A best seller will have multiple printings and countless copies. But to (very briefly) meet the author and have just one of those copies signed to YOU... is awesome. I will be quiet now. :) Peace