View post (Guitarstyle debate)

View thread

maggior
maggior
08/28/2014 1:49 pm
I agree with Bob, especially as a fellow "soulful player" :-).

I have to point out that it's all relative. I've seen some of your videos caponi14 and I wish I could play as fast as you. You may think you are slow, but to me you are a fast player. As guitarists, we are never totally satisified. That's good thing because it keeps us striving to improve...as long as the dissatisfaction doesn't keep you from enjoying making the music you are capable of.

There's a bit of physical predetermination, but a lot of times that can be overcome by the sheer power of will and determination. But just like everybody can't run a marathon with 5 min./mile splits, not everybody can play as fast as somebody like John Petrucci.

I also think we are largely victims of our influences. When I was first learning guitar, I listened to Yes a lot. A friend of mine commented on my playing saying he could hear Steve Howe in my playing. In later years, I became fascinated with David Gilmour's style...today I cannot deny the influence he's had on my style!

Ultimately, you should sound like you! Slash sounds like Slash, Petrucci sounds like himself... Even though you may not be able to mimic Petrucci's style perfectly, I'll bet there will be aspects of his style that creep in and contribute to your own style.