View post (New blues jam - Am this time)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/20/2014 7:40 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI recorded this iwth my Les Paul standard using the neck pickup. I'm playing through a "US Blues" amp model (some sort of Fender probably) on my Zoom G5 Pedal with some reverb added. I set the gain so it was just breaking up. That made for some cool dynamics.

I knew it! I should've gone ahead and guessed on your gear-choices for this recording! I tried to figure out what gear you used to get your tone, and damn, I got close. I just didn't want to risk looking like a complete idiot for making random guesses towards your tone (although my guesses were actually pretty well-reasoned).

What I concluded after listening to your recording a couple of times is this: Your guitar used a Neck Position Humbucker. Since I know a little about your guitars, I could deduce that it must be a Gibson Les Paul. The Amp sounded very similar to the "'57 Fender Deluxe" preset in my Fender Mustang, so it would be reasonable to assume you used a Fender Deluxe-style amplifier-model. I never thought I would be able to tell what gear you used this precisely so soon (although you made it easy for me this time around)! I always thought I'd have to have played for decades before that would even be possible! Turns out I was very wrong. And I could only tell because I've been using a Les Paul on the Neck-Pickup through the '57 Fender Deluxe model on my own amp almost exclusively for a few months now. I'm not saying it's 100% certain that your "US Blues" model is a copy of the '57 Fender Deluxe (or the '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is the exact same amp with an extra channel for Reverb). I'm just saying it sounds a lot like it.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...