amp buzz

tompotter
tompotter
08/15/2014 2:21 pm
i have a traynor amp gl 10 i plug it into wall socket and everything is fine,i can turn volume all the way up and i hear a bass hum very low, this tells me my amp is on. Then i plug guitar cord into amp there is a wicked buzz or electric distortion, then plug cord into guitar buzz or hum is still there but pitch is different, I have a Les Paul standard only way I can get distortion down is to play my guitar with switch to rhythm setting, Couls the cord between amp and guitar be broken or unsheilded to pick up electric interference? Inquiring minds want to know. 1st electric i ever had, so don't know to much about them or amps.
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
08/20/2014 2:12 am
I would put this post in the "Ask a Guitar Tech" section. You'll get a much better answer within a day.
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
08/20/2014 3:34 am
My guess, either you have a bad chord or the connection in the guitar where the plugs in is dirty. I've had both of those cause the buzz or hum.
# 3
csignor525
csignor525
12/28/2014 11:56 pm
O.K I have been hunting down the cause of by amp/guitar Buzz. I just got a new Mustang II amp ( the first one had a serious input problem so Fender gave me a new one) I bought a new cable wire and plugged into the amp with the same hissing sound being produced. Well before I made my plans to take it to the shop I move the entire unit and guitar to my bedroom to see if it would make a difference. Well it did! I noticed the hum was less noticeable in the following conditions 1. with my Squire Strat in the middle pick up position there was very little to no hum. 2.with the volume on the guitar all the way up the noise almost if not disappeared . Also I notice that before the move the hiss disappeared when I touch to strings or input face plate. Now the hum when it is there is effected little by my fingers on the strings/face plate. Oh I not totally convinced the guitar may still have a grounding problem but with the buss at a lower level I am happy. Any comments regarding this post are welcome.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.