Alternate Tuning

Paramedic102
Paramedic102
08/12/2014 12:11 am
I have been playing around with alternate tuning techniques recently. I have been learning a Robert Johnson song "Kind Hearted Woman Blues." He tunes his guitar to Eb=Bb=Gb=Db=Ab=Eb, basically half step down.

My main guitar is tuned to standard tuning. I was wonder if there is an ill effect of frequently changing the tune on your guitar (my bet is probably not)? My older guitar I did tune it down a half step.
# 1
jteysko
jteysko
08/19/2014 9:31 am
There's no problem changing tunings on your guitar. It wont hurt the strings or the guitar itself.

I've been messing around with alternate tunings lately as well. It's been a lot of fun. I became such a fan of tuning down that I bought a 7 string. :) Now I can keep my EADGBE and still have a low B.
# 2
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
08/26/2014 9:14 pm
I put a TronicalTune system on my SG. I do...5, 6 tunings in one session. Standard, open E, drop d, e-flat, double drop d, dadgad, open G, no problems. It takes a few minutes for the guitar to settle into each tuning, so it's not a live option until I get that fixed, I left the nut stock but the nut needs some attention, maybe a better nut, angled slots, I'm putting the new Floyd Rose FRX on this SG when the new floyd is released. Between the tronical tuner and the floyd which locks at the bridge for fixed bridge and does floating, an angled nut, it should tune nicely on the fly.

I hand tune my Taylor GS Mini with a PlanetWaves Steinberger Mini headstock tuner, amazing tuner! Same deal, it takes a bit for the guitar to settle into each tuning, but on the acoustic, it's more body than string tension controlling the settling, the acoustic is not as rigid as the electric, but the Taylor is rigid for an acoustic, verrrry nice guitar! I do 5, 6 tunings on the GS Mini too, no problems. There is a tronical for the GS Mini too, I might get it, we'll see.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.