What to buy?

Niek.Kruis
Niek.Kruis
08/05/2014 5:52 pm
Hey,

I want to start recording some songs and I’m wondering what kind of equipment would be good. Since I have no idea I thought let’s ask it here first.

This is the gear I have:

- (semi) Acoustic guitar

- Electric guitar (with multi effect pedal and small amp)

- Electric Piano (I have a midi to usb cable, but not sure what I can do with that)

- Beyerdyamics headphones (good for recording)

- And of course I would like to sing (but no mic yet).

And here are some questions I have:

- Can I put my guitars in front of a microphone or would it be better if I connected them with a cable?

- My piano has a jack output for phones and a midi output which do I use to connect it?

My budget is around 600 $, but I don’t know what the normal price for gear like this is (I have more money but I’m not sure if I want to spend that much).

Any kind of advice is appreciated!! :)

Cheers
# 1
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
09/29/2014 7:41 am
Hi Niek.Kruis,

Looks like you need a simple audio interface and a microphone.

In my opinion (and i'm sure the vast majority of people thinks the same) it sounds way better if you record your acoustic guitar with a microphone. You could always blend the direct signal and the microphone signal together if you wanted to record both.

What kind of electric piano do you have? MIDI is probably the way to go with, but you would then need a virtual instrument plugin in your DAW. (Digital Audio Workstation).

This may be a bit overwhelming so i would suggest to Google ''12 home studio necessities''. The articles can be found both in text and video. Enjoy!

Hope this helps.
-T
# 2
Niek.Kruis
Niek.Kruis
10/01/2014 12:46 pm
Thnx mate this really helps!

There is so mutch out there it is hard to know what to buy.
# 3
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
10/03/2014 7:18 am
Originally Posted by: Niek.KruisThnx mate this really helps!

There is so mutch out there it is hard to know what to buy.

No problem.

I really recommend reading those articles though, they should open your eyes! :)

-T
# 4
Niek.Kruis
Niek.Kruis
10/06/2014 2:22 pm
Yeah I did and it helped a lot.

Bought a Rode NTA1 (package with schockmount and everything) with a steinberg Ur22 Audio interface, and a MIDI cable to connect my piano.

Guess this will be good to start of with!
Got a lot of practicing to do though :)

Cheers
# 5
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
10/09/2014 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: Niek.KruisYeah I did and it helped a lot.

Bought a Rode NTA1 (package with schockmount and everything) with a steinberg Ur22 Audio interface, and a MIDI cable to connect my piano.

Cheers

Exciting, i'm happy for you!

I'd love to help you out, so if you get any questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask!
# 6
darrylpowis
darrylpowis
11/08/2014 2:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Niek.KruisYeah I did and it helped a lot.

Cheers

Good choices to buy!
# 7
VinceMarrone
VinceMarrone
11/13/2014 1:34 am
I need some advice. I am trying to record my acoustic guitar rhythm, then overdub the head, then a solo and maybe a harmony part. All acoustic instrumental. Can I do this with one multi-pattern condenser mic? Also, what do you recommend for a multi-pattern mic under 200 dollars? I'm trying to maybe use it in omni mode and try and get a nice full sound that way with no phasing issues. Is this possible or do I have to go with a two mic stereo thing. I'm a novice at home recording with a mic. I mainly plug my Gibson electric straight into a Zoom 1608, but now I want to get some nice acoustic tracks from my Selmer style gypsy guitar. I have never owned a condenser before. Thanks in advance.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.