View post (Now that I've heard them for myself,what was the big deal with The Beetles?Presley?.?)

View thread

Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/11/2002 12:06 am
I have an answer in my own opinion. I see too often that guitar players especially anyone into virtuosity or 80's metal they just look at things like speed, tapping, sweeping. Well these techniques add to music however music is only memorable when there is a great melody. You ever hear someone try to sing a song that didnt know the lyrics but for some reason they were having a blast rocking out. They are thinking of the melody.

I am only 22 years old so I dont have a bias view.

The beatles were masters of song writing and melodies. If you try to disect their songs by looking at the intervals they used to come up with the best and most memorable melodies written you will begin to see how talented they are, mostly I admire John Lennon.

I think that is a common theme of the 50's and 60's and has lost its place now. Most bands now arent concerned with there music as much as their look. I personally dont like alot of metal especially the new stuff with the exception of Pantera, Down, and a few others. The stuff I dont like is like Lincoln Park, Slipnot.....

If the new musicians spent more time on melodies there music would be better, I think. Perhaps its just there is no one with the talent that lennon had around anymore, it wouldnt surprise me if that was the answer. Also keep in mind that in te 50's the effects were very limited of non existent so great melodies were absolutely neccesary unlike nowadays.

All in all the beatles were without a doubt the best song writers of all time. I think anyone who wants to grow musically has to take the time to analyze bands like the beatles and learn what it was that made their melodies soo good.

THomyorke575