View post (Now that I've heard them for myself,what was the big deal with The Beetles?Presley?.?)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/06/2002 8:50 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid ...I don’t want to question what Lord says in response to Pony’s saying that Nirvana are his Beatles. I don’t a have a basis on which to do that. But I wish to put this forward:
Industries change. The industry that The Beatles lorded over is very different from the one that exists today...[/B]
...which I think illustrates my point, ie. that the level of skill and creativity expected by the consumers catered to by The Biz is lower than it was in the day. The Beatles started out with unremarkable material (check out the stuff they were playing in Hamburg!) and transformed the scene by creating, and serving, a market that wanted something better.

My opinion that the importance of Nirvana's influence on the course of popular music will prove to be less durable than that of The Beatles, is still just my own opinion. Whether you 'get' The Beatles, or not, is a matter of your own personal enjoyment, not related at all to your age or mental capacity. I cringe every time I hear an Elvis song, (other than "Fever"), but I recognise his importance in shaping the music we listen to now. I suspect that if you wrote a piece of music that you were sure was completely original and utterly devoid of outside influence, someone would compare it to another piece of work, simply to try to describe it. It might even get compared to a Beatles song! :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons