View post (Now that I've heard them for myself,what was the big deal with The Beetles?Presley?.?)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
06/05/2002 10:18 am
I had second thoughts when I was starting this thread.Coz people have a way of reacting to some things that I just don't understand.And I happen to be a guy that hates rubbing people the wrong way.Even if I stand a chance of learning something,if that learning involves bad vibe from people who don't really know me,people I'll probably never meet but just happen to interact with thanks to technology,I prefer keeping to myself.
But the thread got started.
Hack Pack:my name is David,not skippy.If the skippy you're talking about is the peanut butter brand,implying kid,I won't even go into what I think about that line of thought.But I will say that I didn't say anyone here is too old.I said old.Not too old.Too is a word which implies some sort of excess,and you need to illustrate the reason something is excess.And in any case,old is a relative term,so I don't even know what's pissing you off.
I don't listen to any music with a scowl on my face.I once heard a Joe Cocker song.On an "oldies "program on my fav local FM station.Once.I didn't even know who that was.But that song got me dancing(mildly)and playing my "air" guitar.I think it was called "The one you turn to" or something.That would be an example.I don't know how old he is,but I know he didn't grow up with the guys in Blink 182,for instance.And why has not being particularly moved(not my choice of words,here and elsewhere)by the beatles got to do with the openess of my mind?And what has having an open mind(you mentioned "a lot younger,more open minded poeple")got to do with being old?They don't necesarilly go in tandem,do they?
I can't like something coz people like it.You judge something when you experience it.And in view of all that I'd heard of the Beatles(notice I heard about them before hearing them),my experience of them wasn't on the same scale as what I'd heard of them.Simple.
Blacksmith,I usually get on the internet in the morning hours.The morning follows the night.I sleep during the night.It's a bit patronizing when you tell me you appreciate my opinion coz you too were once 23.Meaning?If I was 60 you wouldn't?What has age got to do with it,besides the learning curve?I don't want to get personal,so all I'll say is that I get the feeling you've got the opinion that "These days kids........".I've heard it before elsewhere.And I won't get into what I think aboutthe attitude
You say it's your opinion there will never ever be another team like Lennon& McCartney.My contention is this;that whatever it is that makes you feel about this duo as you do,those qualities could be endowed upon/horned by another person/duo/nthplet.Maybe even get better.You don't feel about the beatles the way you feel coz they were your sons.It is/was as a result of what they did.
Don't argue that no one else will will ever run the 100 M in 9.(is it 79?)just coz Maurice Green(?) did.The qualities the Beatles had are not infinite qualities.Someone else could get more magical for a lesser amount of subtle.
And btw,I haven't written any music.I was just using me as an example.
You guys are reacting like I said X is better than the Beatles.I didn't.
I'll try and remember what I say about icons next time.Coz people take offence.Not that it will change the way I see things,but coz since human beings are social animals,and I'm a human being,it might be better to keep to myself for the sake of the social thing.
All you dudes that talked about the time,and how society was then and how people were thinking,thank you.That was what the kind of thing I was hoping for.Not "skippy" and "go to sleep" crap.