View post (Now that I've heard them for myself,what was the big deal with The Beetles?Presley?.?)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/04/2002 11:03 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
I'm 18. Nirvana are my Beatles.
I've read your detailed analyses of their material, and why its important to you in particular, and Music in general, but I have to say that if you believe that statement, it underlines just how much [u]lower[/u] current expectations have become.

If you can, take some time to sample some music, starting with the late '50s. You will hear what I consider to be primative Rock'n'Roll. That is meant in an academic sort of way, not as a put-down. Quite simply, the technology in use at all phases of the recording, production and even playing music was at an early stage of development. Even a contemporary reincarnation of Mozart would have been frustrated. And there were no writers of that calibre in The Biz just then. Even The Biz was a disorganised bunch of independants fighting for survival.

In the early '60s, the countrified RockaBilly represented by Elvis et al, started to share the airwaves with Folk music, Folk-Rock, and Surf. Vocal harmonies, as presented by The Everley Brothers, The Beach Boys and The Mamas And The Papas, were becoming part of the North American public's musical consciousness.

Then came The British Invasion! The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who may be the most recognised names today, but there were dozens of other bands getting airplay on this side of the pond. Herman's Hermits were making hits with material that George Formby had written in the '30s! The Dave Clark Five, The Mersey Beats, and many, many 'One-Hit Wonders' gave us a huge supply of recordings to select from. These bands inspired a whole generation of American and Canadian bands in the same style. Paul Revere And The Raiders come to mind. There was a parallel boom in Soul Music and the Motown sound, and this too was influenced by the Beatles. Trivia question... Who recorded "Fool On The Hill"?

I can say, with a resonable degree of certainty, that there is a remarkable, readily noticeable difference in popular music pre-Beatles, and post-Beatles. Their influence has faded somewhat over the last [u]35 years[/u], but it can still be found.

PonyOne, I respectfully submit that, even 10 years from now, Nirvana will appear as an important, but much smaller, blip on the chart compared to the massive shift in musical styles brought on by the arrival of The Beatles.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons