View post (Speed of learning solos)

View thread

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
07/03/2014 6:05 am
I've experienced the same kind of thing. Perfect example right now:

I've been working on the solo from Beast and the Harlot by A7X. I would say the difficulty level is somewhere in between intermediate and difficult, and it's actually pretty fast. Add the fact that I've only been playing 9 months and you can see why I struggled!

But anyway, I started out playing the solo at 50% speed. I use The Amazing Slow Downer to slow down songs or speed them up so I can play along to them. I started out at 50% over a month ago, and after practicing it every day, I'm not up to 88%. Almost there! And there are some days where my fingers know exactly what to do, and then there are some days where I'll throw in an extra note which throws off my alternate picking towards the end of the solo (the hardest part). But I found that after a couple days of slowing back down and playing it over and over again (like 100 times), my fingers now know exactly what to do. It's like second nature, I don't even have to think about it. When it becomes that natural, it's so much easier to speed up. Also, realistically, I've probably repeated this solo a couple thousand times by now! I'm sure an experienced guitarist could learn it much quicker. But my skill level was low going into this.

Another thing I noticed is that while it's smart to spend the majority of your time using a backing track or metronome, it's a good idea to sometimes just play with none of that. Especially while you're trying to play a piece faster than you have before. When you don't have to worry about timing or a drum beat, you can really just focus on your hands and moving your fingers faster. But then of course you want to eventually go back to playing to a beat.

I hope that helps in some way!

(*by the way, most of the tabs out there for this song are wrong, very wrong. The most accurate I've found is actually the game Rocksmith, which I slowly paused over and over again to write down the tab from the game. Cause I don't play the game anymore. So if you want an accurate tab let me know!)