What happened to the guitarists

Shlag
Shlag
07/08/2000 7:05 am
Hey, I just want to say that I wished I was playing in the eighties. I say that becuase there were alot of good 80's bands and good guitarists that new how to put a song together and not just powerchord through the whole song. That's why I started a band that would kinda be coming from that style. I really like soloing becuase you can make the song sound just the way it should be and not just boring like the METAL these days. Hey I just say this becuase my previous band I was in just wanted a deep crunch and I got really bored, and I just started playing the fasted solo I could come up with and they would disagree. Hey there are other frets on that board, you gotta use them sooner or later.
# 1
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/08/2000 8:04 am
too bad people don't play like mick mars anymore. you have to admit, it's hard to be a good musician and a good guitarist at the same time. there's always going to be a balance of good music and crap, and i agree that todays metal is awful with few if any exceptions, but the good players are in other styles now. i'm studying country lead and suprisingly most country lead players can burn most metal lead players into the ground. just listen to one of the teachers here, terry couch. too bad there aren't more people that good in other styles. also, it's harder to play slow than fast anyway. how many people do you know who can accurately play david gilmour's solos from pink floyd compared to pantera licks?

Atomic
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
07/12/2000 2:49 am
Guitar playing started going down hill when people got tired of all the power ballads that were coming out at the end of the '80s. After Listening to a bunch of "poser" bands doing the same thing as the next guy people wanted to bring back good song writing. Enter: Kurt Cobain. Now people are hungry for that "raw" guitar sound and that's why we are seeing the end of alternative rock. As to wanting the '80s back, I agree with you to an extent as long as Poison, Dokken, and the rest of the "posers" wouldn't be around. But Motley Crue did rock!

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 3
Shlag
Shlag
07/12/2000 5:57 pm
Yeah, Right On, man!

# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/13/2000 2:02 pm
Now, I'm the type of person who'd just as soon listen to Morphine as Primus, or Goldfinger as Buckethead. I think the real trick is just sounding honest with your music, if a monster solo is what feels right, then play it. If you think the song would be better off w/o out a solo, then do what's right for the song. People are going to listen to whatever they think they want to hear so in my mind it's best just to do what satisfies you (musicly speaking of course).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.