View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
08/07/2014 4:59 pm
Well tonight will be our last rehearsal before tomorrow night's performance. The weather is going to be sunny, cool, and low humidity - awesome for an outdoor concert!!

Last night, I ran through each song once and hit everything. Mike O figured out where my problem was with the Hard to Handle solo (Mike RULES!) and I confirmed it last night. I was coming in a beat too late, which is easy to do since the solo starts on the 4 rather than the 1. Once I heard it, I thought "duh!". My chops are barely up to the 16th notes as it is, so trying to squeeze them into a shorter amount of time really kills me! I got the outro solo down though it's a little sloppy. Way better than I thought I'd be so I'm going with it. It's a loose song so it's all good!

I even practiced Whole Lotta Love since our drummer said she is going to try and convince our singer to sing it though he seems reluctant. He does it REALLY well, but I think it takes him out of his comfort zone. Join the club I say!!! :-).

It was a rare occasion where my improvised solo sounded good to me in the moment. Hmmm, maybe I should have recorded it...perhaps it was really crap :-). Anyway, I normally use minor pentatonics to improvise, but the major pentatonic seems to suit Honky Tonk Woman better being a coutry-ish song. Even though it was outside my "norm", it sounded good. I just have to make sure I start on the root (G) so I don't fall into my usual minor pentatonic phrases.

Tonight I want to see if we can clear up the muddiness of our sound. I think it's a combo of the bass player being too loud and need to eq our guitar amps properly. This is totally new territory for me, though I understand the concepts. Hopefully during our soundcheck tomorrow, the sound guy (our drummer's husband!) can give us direction and advice.

So, unless something big happens tonight, my next update here will be after the gig, hopefully with great news to report.