View post (Back in a band)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/03/2014 7:48 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500So, what was this new motivation? Sounds like something good happed.

It's kind of a long story. Originally, I just went to a small festival, where my two biggest Danish guitar-heroes, Mika Vandborg and Soren Andersen, were headlining Thursday night. Nothing wrong with that. People go to festivals all the time. One thing that's kind of important to this is that I've been to two of their clinics in the past, but I've never seen them play live until this Thursday (I've watched a few clips on YouTube, but that's not quite the same). They started their show with style, playing the 4 best songs they've ever written (in my opinion, anyway), before starting to actually introduce every remaining song. After the fourth song, Mika greeted the audience with the usual "Thank you all for coming out here"-speech, then looked down to me, and said "You too" away from his mic, as if he actually recognized me.

Fast forward to after the gig. As they went off-stage, I made my way over to the merch-stand, to get those of their CDs that I didn't already have. That's where things escalated out of control. I went to get the CDs, and Mika and Soren stood there, selling their merch, and Mika just said "Hey, you were at our clinic on the other side of the water in February, weren't you?" I just stood there, paralyzed, not really sure if he recognized me or not, but I confirmed it anyway, and next thing I knew, my heroes were giving me guitar-theory-lessons and tone-improvement-advice... over the merch-stand! And to really drive the awesomeness straight home, I got a few of their picks for free "as a gift", got my copy of their debut-album signed and everything. For a guitarist, I doubt there's anything more awesome and motivating than getting advice from the people I admire!
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...