View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
07/11/2014 12:41 pm
Not sure if anybody is reading this any more, but if so...

Open mic last night was...interesting. Before the open mic started, they had junior rock band, teen rock band, and the junior precussion ensemble. It was really cool to see young kids getting into it and performing. Rather than having us go on then when the room was full to capacity, they scheduled us as a "headliner" at the end of the open mic. The problem was that nobody there understood or followed open mic ettiquette, so people did their thing...and left. There were maybe 5 people in the room by the time we went on, including my son :-). We joked about it when we got up on stage. At the end, I couldn't help myself and threw out the John Lennon quote from the infamous Beatles rooftop concert "I hope we passed the audition", which got a good laugh...at least somebody got it! The guys running the open mic acknowledged that this was all a bad idea and would set it up differently next time.

We really weren't into playing...we felt like we might as well just head home, what's the point. We waited 2 hours to be on stage for about 10 minutes - 4 of those spent setting up :-). I worked on my stage presence since I was in a "I don't really care" mood at that point. So I bounced around a bit getting into Honky Tonk Women. We did Day Tripper too.

Listening back, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Aside from my amp being way too loud which I couldn't tell from the stage, it sounded pretty good.

All in all, it was good and it was a learning experience and it was fun. We didn't have our singer and there really wasn't anything special about this performance, so I'm not going to post any video. In a month when we have our final performance, it will be a different story.