View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/30/2014 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Gilmour is awesome. He truly a guitarist who understands that a solo is a part of a song and not an opportunity to show his chops. He has a subtlety in his playing that few are lucky to have. I mean, c'mon...the solo in Comfortably Numb heightens the song in a way nothing else could. That is skill and in only a few notes.

Too bad your mates don't want that. I would not say I am a crazed fan of Flyd but I do dig them and if someone in a band said, 'hey, lets do this Floyd song'...I'd be down for that.

I couldn't agree more!!! When I took guitar lessons, the first thing I wanted to learn were the solos in Comfortably Numb. Those solos are EPIC!! With gilmour, it's not about the notes, but how they are played. I learned those solos 14 years ago and I am STILL trying to get his feel. I've gotten closer, but I'll never completely get there...not to my satisfaction. That's OK because striving for it though has made me a better player.

I recently watched Anders' artist study on Gilmour. He describes Gilmour's style as "kicking in the door" when be begins a solo. I thought that was a great description...never really though of it that way. I tend to do the same thing...no real surprise there! :-).