View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/24/2014 8:40 pm
Axe, Fretsmith...thanks!!

Axe - all guitars can be used for practice!! Don't let that guitar become a "case queen". Learned that from somebody else here. Otherwise, you'll be moving it or something one day thinking "wow, this is really a great guitar, I should have played it more!".

Fretsmith - Since I've Been Loving You is a great tune. Good luck with that, that will sound really cool with a single guitar rendition! I have to admit I feel pretty pleased with myself that I can pull off the solos in Whole Lotta Love. I honestly didn't think I was quite there yet. What I'm *really* excited about are the possibilities this opens up... :-). I feel like I've stepped onto a new level. I may start looking at things like SRV's "Crossfire" and Jimmi's "Voodoo Chile"!! THAT is where I want to be!

During rehearsal last week, the drummer and bass player kept egging me on playing the hits between the little mini solos...and of course I obliged by running through the solos! With the gain and volume turned up...oh MAN!!! Everybody was enjoying it!

What's funny is that when I started looking in the tab, I was thinking "oh, I've seen that before, that's that chuck berry thing. Bunch of pull offs in open E, ok...descending chomatic stuff". The way Jimmy puts it all together though...wow!! It's nice when new things start looking familiar.

In the meantime, I'm kicking a$$ and takin' names!