View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/06/2014 3:22 pm
Will do ThorfinnFrisken!!

Funny how things can work out sometimes. Having tried to do this on our own, it not working, and going back, I have a new perspective. I've already had a few realizations of what we need to do differently to successfully break out on our own again. There is still interest in doing so, so all is not lost :-).

It's hard to describe. The only comparison I can think of is homework in school. You sit in class and the teacher goes over stuff and it makes sense. Later on, you sit down to do your homework and you find that there are things you thought you understood but you really don't. So you go back to class the next day and ask some specific questions based on your homework difficulties. Again you sit down to do your homework and finally the light bulb goes off and it makes sense. At the very least, it makes more sense than it did before.

So I'm now back in class after having had trouble with my homework the night before :-). At the end of this, I hope to be able to "work on my homework" again.

So far my observations have been:
- When starting out as a band, play what you as a band want to play. Who cares if they are songs an audience would want to hear or if the genres are all over the place. All that matters is that the songs inspire you *as a band*. If you get to a point where you have a paying audience or you are being hired, THEN worry about the audience.

- Try out all songs suggested by any band member. You never know what will work until you try it...no matter how outrageous it may seem. Be open minded. If the song is boring or uninspiring to you, figure out how to make your part more interesting to you. If there are parts that are too hard at the moment, wing them or leave then out intially. You can always go back to them if the song seems to work for the band.

- At least 2 guitars are needed. This is specific to my situation. I'm very surprised at how good it feels to be able to share the burden of the guitar parts with another player. It also greatly expands the list of songs we can consider playing.

Of course these are things that I had read about before and some of you may have very well suggested these things! Sometimes you gotta learn things first hand...I do anyway.