View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/05/2014 3:23 am
So after going on our own and things not quite working out, we all have ended up back at the music store doing another round of "Adult Rock Band". It wasn't planned this way, but it has turned into a reunion of the lineup we had before without our conga player, but we pick up another guitar player and a sax player.

This will be a 10 week program and we pretty much have our first song down already, so we should be able to do a lot more than last time. Our fist song is "Honky Tonk Woman" and I finally get my wish for a Beatles tune - "Day Tripper". Thanks to Guitar Tricks here, I know the entire song, including the solo!

I was skeptical about having 3 guitar players and they had to twist my arm a bit to jump back in. However, it is working out and I find our potential list of songs expands quite a bit. We can now do Beatles, Eagles, etc. Our mentor is being good about assigning us things parts to play so we aren't creating a muddy sound. For honkey tonk woman, it means each of us playing the chords on various registers. I'll have to figure out what Keith Richards is actually playing, but I was able to fake it well enough tonight. I was able to totally wing a solo too that wasn't too bad.

I have to skip next week, but I'll be picking things back up the following week.

This time I've decided to adopt a much more laid back attitude about it. I will not stress out about song selection, people doing their parts, etc. So far, it's made it more enjoyable and less stressful. The guitar player we picked up is pretty capable and the second guitar player from last time seems to have been practicing since the last session! It takes a lot of pressure off of me...though the pressure from last time forced me to learn a lot.

Oh, and I took my new Les Paul out for the first time. Worked out VERY well. Sounded great and was comfortable to play - as comfortable as my strat. I stood there for an hour playing and didn't get to the point where it felt heavy. It's nice to have another workhorse at my disposal.

Anyway, it should be fun!!