I want THIS sound

Svanholm
Svanholm
06/04/2014 2:36 pm
I have been watching a lot of the american tv show Nashville, if you havent seen it. DO IT! Awesome show with great music.

In one episode the sound from one guitarr is sooooo beutiful. Those anyone knows how to get this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rk0tErHjr0

Its at the end, when he does the solo.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/04/2014 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmThose anyone knows how to get this sound?

Classic county tone. It's an electric with a bit of grit on the amp & rotary effect like tremolo. The tremolo rate is set fairly high in that clip.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12935

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Svanholm
Svanholm
06/04/2014 7:17 pm
I dont know Dude. Well, I agree on the efect, but Im more out for the sound. Maybe it is the guitar it self.
But I can hear that the pedal does his part as well.

Can I get the same sound with a LP?

What do you mean by a bit of grit on the amp?

/Mattias

EDIT: I listen to it one more time and it sounds like he has some kind of gain or dist on it as well.
# 3
maggior
maggior
06/04/2014 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmI dont know Dude. Well, I agree on the efect, but Im more out for the sound. Maybe it is the guitar it self.

Can I get the same sound with a LP?

/Mattias

EDIT: I listen to it one more time and it sounds like he has some kind of gain or dist on it as well.

The gain or distortion you refer to is the "grit on the amp" that Christopher is talking about.

You won't get that same type of sound from an LP. You can approach it by using the bridge pickup and coil split (if you have it on your LP).

Twangy country usually means a Fender Stratocaster or a Fender Telecaster.

Christopher Schlegel is one of most knowledgable and helpful instructors here...I think he deserves more respect that being called "Dude". :-).
# 4
Svanholm
Svanholm
06/04/2014 8:01 pm
Hm. Well, a telecaster is the next guitar on my wishlist. Gues I have to collect one of those. What kind of amp do you think he uses?

haha! Of course he is! :P My apologies, he is the big great master! ;)
# 5
maggior
maggior
06/04/2014 8:19 pm
This isn't my genre, but I seem to recall some type of Fender amp being popular, like a Twin Reverb. I think they have that tremelo effect built in. They are expesive though. Perhaps you could get an amp simulator (Line 6 POD, etc) that could emulate one.

Telecasters, like Strats, are pretty versatile. Don't think you can go wrong with adding a tele to your herd.
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/04/2014 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmWell, I agree on the efect, but Im more out for the sound. Maybe it is the guitar it self.
[/quote]
The sum of any guitar tone is:

1. Guitar
2. FX
3. Amp
4. Player

In the video you can see is using some kind of hollow body with 3 pickups. Looks like a Harmony Silvertone. Probably a Harmony Silvertone H-1429 Model Thinline.

http://silvertoneguitar.net/1962-harmony-silvertone-h1429-thinline-hollow-body-electric-guitar-pre-owned/13938

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=4901

So, yes the hollow body is part of the equation. You can probably get "close" with a LP. Use both pickups & dial back the volume & tone knobs to simulate the darker, muted sound of the hollow body.
[QUOTE=Svanholm]

Gain. Natural overdrive. That doesn't sound like a pedal. Since this is a TV show, it's likely that it's just a modeler. Like an Eleven rack or Line6 set on a classic Fender brown face setting. Some kind of small wattage simple tube amp set so that it's just on the verge of "breaking up", meaning that the sound is "gritty" or has "grit". Not full on distortion. Just a touch a gain.

Listen to the tone in this lesson. "Grit" all over it!

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12795

Also, look through the country course lessons on gear: guitars, amps, fx. There are tons of useful references in that course!

Dude, is fine. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
2gross4u
2gross4u
06/10/2014 2:54 pm
Maggior, I think the amp that you're thinking about is the Fender Deluxe Reverb. It's one of the few amps still using a tube rectifier (5AR4). A Vox AC30 would serve equally well. Many tube amp manufacturers are returning to tube rectifiers instead of the typical solid state output transformers because transformers just can't duplicate that natural "sag" that tubes produce. There are more and more manufacturers putting out these type amps these days. Even a Vox AC15C1 (1. 12" speaker) is only $599.99 (US) but only has 2 EL84 power tubes. Nothing beats 4 EL84s for that great gut rumbling sound. For the sound he is after, I'd suggest not using any pedals other than a delay (set for slapback) and a reverb (if needed) and set the amp volume just barely to the point of "breakup" and have at it. Just my 2 ceents. Jimbo
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.