View post (Blues in Bm Jam Take 3 w/LP)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/03/2014 6:50 pm
Thanks for listening guys :-). I loaded my 3 versions of this to listen to in the car and I have to say that the LP tones are more appealing to me. The PRS wasn't horrible, but just not totally what I was after. The strat sounds just like it should :-).

The neck on this guitar feels almost like my strat, and I love the feel of my strat neck. So it's a bit of a wierd feeling playing this guitar because my left hand feels like I'm playing a strat but the tone and right hand are all LP.

@tom1951 - keep at it and you'll get there...I promise These solos don't feature fancy technique or exotic scales. 99.99% of it is straight forward "boring" pentatonic shapes in different positions. I like to make these recordings and play them in my car and my home stereo. I listen for parts that sound interesting to me and determine why. It gives me a 3rd party perspective on my playing which I find very helpful.

The biggest thing that strikes me with these recordings is how dynamics really play a large role in making the solo appealing. When I play more softly, almost fading into the backing track completely, it draws you in. I need to figure out how to do this in a live/band setting. The difficulty there is that on stage I'm not hearing the mix that the audience is hearing, so fading back may mean they can't hear you playing at all :-).

I do have to find a different backing track though. In doing this last one, I had to be very concious of not repeating riffs from my previous recordings. For the most part, I was successful...which is a little victory in itself. It shows I have more purpose in my playing rather than just aimlessly wandering through scale patterns.

Thanks again for listening and giving some feedback!