Johnny Winter

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/25/2014 1:04 am
No matter what your genre or guitarist of choice, this article about Johnny Winter should hold your interest. Personally, I favor the blues and like JW. And before I came into possession of my Gibson 336 Johnny Winter noodled with it back stage at a show in Missoula and pronounced it, "...a real sonofabitch!" (he meant that in a good way ;) ). I'm giddy to have traces of Winter's DNA on my guitar.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20861-heres-johnny-winter

(to be honest, that DNA hasn't helped me much yet :) )
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/25/2014 1:30 pm
Johnny Winter is the real deal. Very real deal. I need to listen to more Johnny.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/25/2014 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTAnd before I came into possession of my Gibson 336 Johnny Winter noodled with it back stage at a show in Missoula ...

Great story! :)

Johnny Winter is my personal favorite blues guy. I've seen BB, Albert, Clapton, SRV, Collins, et al. And I love all those guys. But, when I saw Winter in a little 500 seat place back in the 80s. Wow. :eek: The intensity that guy delivered was just astounding.

He's got it all covered, the fast burning licks, the slow burn, a hundred different ways to play rhythm parts, great simultaneous bass & lead chops (Sweet Papa John!), slide chops, a great blues voice and killer stage presence.

Good thread!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
pattyb5
pattyb5
06/01/2014 3:44 pm
yea, I saw johnny back in the early 90's when he still smoked. it was like an endless stream of hot blues licks. and that was the days when shred still ruled. But johnny could shred the blues! I even got carried away and bought a Lazer guitar. I wish I still had it. But it was so closely associated with him that it was a drag (sort of) trying to live up to his legend. so I sold it. I learned a lesson though (that most of us learn somewhere along the way), it ain't the arrow, it's the indian. lol

good article!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.