Line 6 JTV 59 guitar

wcarosia
wcarosia
05/19/2014 4:27 am
soo.. did something pretty unusual today, at least for me..

went on sweetwater(right after buying a prs angelus custom se piezo acous/electric at guitar center), and found a "scratch n dent" version of the Line 6 JTV 59 electric. Read a lot of reviews about the scratch/dent inventory, 95% of the reviews said "there was almost no issues, or if there was they were minor discolorations on fretboard, etc"..

So, I bought a 1500 dollar guitar for half price. first off, whats your thoughts on this scratch/dent thing, anyone ever take this risk? and second, any of you have any experiences with the JTV 59 you would like to share(preferably those experiences that I should know about BEFORE the warranty or 30 day return expires??)

Thanks in advance!
# 1
wcarosia
wcarosia
05/19/2014 4:28 am
oh, and in addition to the above- yes, I have a line 6 pedal(pod hd 500x). Never had any interest in the line 6 guitars prior.
# 2
bob99
bob99
05/19/2014 12:11 pm
The only thing I can offer is experience with sweetwater and a 'demo' amp head purchase.

The rep was great. Went and took pics of the HT5RH and emailed them to me so I could see the exact condition of the head.

Was exactly what I expected and still working fine a year later.

I've made several purchases from sweetwater. They are awesome to deal with. I'm sure if there is any reason you aren't happy they'll make it right.

No, I'm not affiliated :)
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 3
fretsmith
fretsmith
05/19/2014 2:06 pm
I didn't know there was an SE with a piezo .... I need to look into that. I think that the scratch-n-dent stuff is usually a pretty good value. Especially on the sites that provide detailed description/photos of the "issue" so you know full well what to expect. You need to be comfortable with the "no warranty" status of these instruments and if they have stamped "2nd" or "used" on the back of the headstock it may have a permanent effect on the guitars residual value.

I just bought a new guitar. Sells (everywhere) for $1395 but they had a "used" one (with a small scratch on the face) for $948. (32% off). I was able to finagle them into selling me a new one for $1116 (20% off) ... for me, the extra $165 was worth it to get a flawless instrument and the guitars 5 yr warranty.

I'd like to hear your impressions re the "Angelus" - take Care
# 4
wcarosia
wcarosia
05/21/2014 4:24 am
Bob- sweetwater actually called next day and did exactly that- sent me even more pics! Bunch of standup guys over there, gonna be looking their direction in future i think. Great thing is- it still carries a 2 yr warranty! Dunno what i am mpre excited about, the line 6 or prs custom piezo...

I will keep you posted, GC called yesterday as well, to tell me my order was cancelled and we now have to ship from CA.. Well i live in NJ, So looks like ill get it friday at earliest.

I know its a rough suggestion, but you should listen to some vids that sample the prs acoustic, that rosewood really sounds like it refuses to play anything except rich minor chords/scales haha.. Hoping it holds up to the hype, it would be an incredible compliment to my taylor.

Ahh. Now i am jones-ing again.. Anyone know of guitaraholics anaonymous is a real thing? Cuz if it isnt? I am going to buy that 308 prs at GC. maybe that low end martin 12 string too ...
# 5
bob99
bob99
05/21/2014 1:38 pm
I played one of those PRS models at a GC when I was shopping. I ended up getting a Yamaha A3M from sweetwater (the ones at GC were damaged and the staff not helpful).

The A3 series from Yamaha are all solid wood ... excellent guitars. Try one out!
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 6
wcarosia
wcarosia
05/25/2014 2:46 am
Fretsmith- GC put me through a ridiculous ringer of shipping it then cancelling it, etc etc..well i went and applied the pressure, got a pretty sweet prs hardcase out the deal..

The guitar is a total class act.... Necks very well rounded and has a delicate feel to it. Tone is awesome- it is the perfect compliment to my taylors brightness i was looking for. The rosewood sides are a real treat! Aesthetically it looked too dark on web- live? It was worth a "holy s',&$" as it came out case. The piezo and electronics(in my opinion) sounded slightly better than my taylors, as the controls grant u more precision. You can mod lot more than bass and treble! Oh, and just to display its smug dominance, it has a built in tuner haha..

I also played angelus standard... It was a tight instrument for sure, but lacked the gasp factor that i got with the custom angelus. Then again tone is rather subjective, so to each his own.. But if you want a rich, loud, good sustain acoustic, i more often fail to see what the higher ends have over chosen guitars like this one( minus the made in usa). These guitars go through PRS amazing quality control after all, and from someone who is the poster child for taylor and prs, i think it can go punch for punch with a lot of comparable taylors. Honestly i liked it more than the 300/800 series cutaways, it only bows to the 414ce.

Ok thats the end of my "i really want to critique the guitar but not as much as i want to put down this ipad and go play it" tirade, go buy one and thank me later!!!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.