View post (Should a band have a leader?)

View thread

haghj500
haghj500
05/08/2014 2:26 am
Leader as in someone who makes all the decisions and picks all the songs, will not work. Well if you have a few very week personalities, that don’t like to make their own decision…It just may work.

Now a stage or practice leader is a must. The more people the more important it is. Look at nature, every herd, group, pack…. has a leader or dominate animal they follow. Your group (band) needs someone to signal when to start a song or more important, someone to stop the song when it needs stopped so a part can be practiced. Unless one person is making this decision no one will know when to keep going with the song or stop. So people stop and others don’t, then there jumping back in. That’s not practice it a stamped. No one says the leader cannot change every couple weeks or whatever.

With the current group of cats, ask them to make a list of songs they can play or would like to learn. The list should be at least 30 to 50 songs as that is what is needed for a 3 or 4 hour gig. Each of you put your list on the table and look for like songs. If the group doesn’t have at least 10 – 15 that match, time to find a new pack to run with. Not to say you cannot still jam now and then to have fun and a lot of learning about what it takes to make a band. I would encourage that.

Now that you have the list, you can post it on “For Sale” boards at stores and places people do when their selling beds or lawn mowers. Advertise you’re looking to make a band; these are the songs I know, looking for…..

Back in the late 70’s whenever we had to find a drummer or bass. We would post our last two sets, with a looking for ________. Of course “For Sale” boards were in a lot of stores back then, may not be so true now days.

The “manager” led band you just experienced was set up to work that way from the get go. You all entered knowing that and agreed. Why not it’s only 8 weeks and I’ll play in a band, not by myself and even get to play on stage. I bet you had stars in your eyes and would have agreed to 12 weeks to experience what you just got to. So ya, in that case it worked.

I got to do this band thing for most of three and a half years, I was mostly rhythm. So while I speak with some experience three and a half years is limited. A band is like a family, you’re all interdependent upon each other. I mean how can you hit the stage without one of you?

I also found that if a person wanting to join didn’t already have at least 30 songs under their belt, they were not ready to be in a band yet. You can’t trust people like that to stick around for more than a few months. They would get over whelmed and quit. They simple have not dedicated enough of their time/life and some refuse to dedicate that much to music.

I hope you find something useful in my rambling.