New 15w tube amp

adamblaney
adamblaney
05/05/2014 4:45 pm
Hi I currently own a peavey valve king 112 and Im thinking of changing my amp. Only play at low levels, so began thinking maybe a 15watt tube amp would be more my thing. I know im suffering from chronic GAS but if i cant spend on my babies what else can I blow my pounds on. Now i play an american strat and a gibson sg, with p90s. I mainly play blues, hendrix, Zep, John mayall and the bluesbreakers and some classic rock. I have a variety of pedals my fav being the way huge pork lion. Ive been searching the internet and was thinking along the lines of the vox night train head and cab 15w, fender blues junior iii or i quite like the look of the cornford harliquin. ?Truth be told im clueless am i wasting my money, should I really up grade. I only have £600 max. Any ideas on where to look.......
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/05/2014 5:33 pm
Maybe take a look at the Laney Lionheart:

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/72

I have this amp, and it sounds very nice. Definitely try it before you buy it though, as its probably going to sound quite different from what you have right now. Made in the UK, 5 watts, but can still be quite loud so don't be fooled by the low wattage rating.
# 2
adamblaney
adamblaney
05/05/2014 7:12 pm
Yeah i looked at this and was impressed at the price but was under the impression it was more for metal, is it the head and cab. Read some really good stuff bout laney though.
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/05/2014 7:53 pm
I have the 112 combo unit. Its certainly not meant for metal. Its much more a "middle of the road" amp... blues/rock etc. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=1344 for this one, you'll need to scroll down the page a bit, but you can see he gives it a glowing endorsement and also see the other amps he's tried.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-lionheart-5w-tube-guitar-combo-amp -check out the reviews on this site. Again, everyone really likes it.

See if you can try one out. Amp preferences vary wildly from person to person, so its really something you'll want to test drive first.
# 4
fretsmith
fretsmith
05/05/2014 8:15 pm
Hey Adam - Never apologize for GAS ...if it's your thing it's your thing! :)

I don't know anything about the ValveKing - I got put off by Peavey years ago when they were doing the "Bandit" and "TransTube" thing ... my disdain lingered so I never tried anything new from them - like the ValveKing. Maybe it's great ... I don't know.

Yeah I think a low wattage tube amp is a good route ( the lower the better IMO ). Your budget is more than enough to put a huge selection within your grasp. I checked out the Cornford you mentioned ... never heard of them ... sounded really good. There are SO many awesome amps within your budget that will address your objective it's hard to make a list. One, I think, that is worth checking out is the VHT Special 6 Ultra. (extra gain stage/tube swap options/ NAMM awards, etc)

Have fun with it - let us know what you end up going with (maybe even do a review here?)

Fellow GASser ....
# 5
maggior
maggior
05/05/2014 8:31 pm
I own this amp as well (valveking 112 combo). I went into the store to buy a Line 6 modeling amp and was steered to this after not being happy with how the Line 6 amp sounded.

Of course I know much more about tube amps than I did then and I also wonder if, since I'm primarily a bedroom musician that I should have opted for a low power model since there is no way that in my house I'll be cranking this thing up to really drive it :-).

I concur with Slipin that this is a middle-of-the-road type amp.

Depending on your level of expertise with electrical stuff and desire to get down and dirty with a soldering iron, you might consider something like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-Amp-power-soak/?ALLSTEPS

Check this link out for all sorts of crazy mods and stuff with this amp.
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/
# 6
adamblaney
adamblaney
05/06/2014 8:25 am
really like the look of the Laney, its not stocked in any of my local stores so may have to take a leap of faith, seen it well priced on GAK. The valve kings been a good amp but she has to go, my craving for new gear must come first. How does the laney take pedals the old valve king can be a bit noisy dependent on her mood. hey cheers for the link to the gilmourish site going to go on ypu tube see if any demos of the laney.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.