View post (Forming a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/14/2014 1:41 pm
This will serve as the conclusion of this saga. Weeks have been passing by and no progress has been made in the area of song selection. I kept pressing the issue by making my own suggestions of songs and approaches of choosing them. At the last minute, rehearsal was cancelled last week because our drummer was frustrated by the song selection issue.

As I took the time to think about it, I realized that the issue we were fighting now was the same one at the music school. The difference though was at the music school, there was somebody to step in and make the decisions for us.

There also appears to be a significant gap in musical taste. This may be due to a generational gap - the other members are 10 and 20 years older than me.

None of this is in any danger of changing soon, so I decided to bow out of the project. Frankly I'll get more satisfaction learning songs and making recordings in my basement. The indecision of song selection was driving me crazy!

It shouldn't have been so hard and it felt like it was being forced. Just like any relationship, if it's being forced, there is something fundamentally wrong. Best to acknowledge that early on and move on.

So who knows, other opportunities may come my way. In the mean time I'll get back to honing my skills.