Good to be in slightly in over your head?

maggior
maggior
03/20/2014 3:46 pm
I consider myself a solid rhythm player that can play *some* lead guitar. I may potentially find myself in a longer term band where I am the lead guitarist.

This is either a great opportunity or a plan for disaster :-).

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are in a situation like this. What would you do?

To save my sanity, I would make sure that songs for the setlist would at least be remotely in my grasp. There will be no Van Halen or hair metal, probably no Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rush, etc.

If this were you, would you "fake it until you make it", or look for a proper lead guitarist and try to learn from them?
# 1
markm0926
markm0926
03/20/2014 4:39 pm
I was in the same situation . Though it was some 20 or so years ago.
When my band formed I was a little better with riffs than our other guitarist so I became the lead player and remain that way to this day.
We cut our teeth on easier songs by Greenday and such , so I was able to keep up as I progressed.
I have always had solos that were easier to learn and would try to get those note for note. Others I would just improvise enough to get by. Still kind of do that to this day also.
Though we've been playing Sweet a Home Alabama for all of the 20 some years I just learned the proper solos recently .
Dig in and have fun.
Go for it!
Main Gear: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul Sig T, Martin Acoustic, Mesa 5:25+, Orange OR15, Carl Martin Quattro
# 2
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
03/20/2014 5:09 pm
Hi Rich, your video proved it - you really are a lead guitarist ! I agree with Mark - you can't go back now! Cheers Steve
# 3
maggior
maggior
03/21/2014 1:58 am
Thanks for your responses guys. Thanks for your vote of confidence Steve. I need to change my thinking. The video doesn't lie - can't deny it. I even point this out in the thread discussing dealing with stage fright.

We'll be starting this band from the ground up, so I'll have the advantage of being in on the ground floor and being able to grow with it. We'll all grow together actually. I guess my concern would have been more for jumping into an already established band.

It's funny, because I'm already using Markm's approach to solos. Where I can, I'll learn the real solo, otherwise I put together a framework that captures the spirit and improvise. I did it more as a way of being able to keep up with a rapid rate of learning songs, but it actually makes things more interesting...for the audience too I think.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.