View post (Perfect Tone)

View thread

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
03/11/2014 4:26 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegel

I got to see him as the opening act in 1985 when he came through St. Louis where I grew up.

Jealous! From the videos I've seen he seems pretty animated on stage. That had to have been an awesome show.

Also, about the time you first heard him play, I can only imagine how shocking that must have been, and inspiring. As far as I know, he was a real pioneer in playing that way. I wonder if he realized how many people were going to start practicing his style!

Anyway, I know what you're saying about chasing someone else's tone. I always tell myself to only compare my ability with where I was in the past, not with other players. But still, it's kind of hard not to from time to time! I definitely will take your advice on seeking my own path, but I guess it doesn't hurt to learn some things from the players who figured it out already. If anything, I can use them as tools later on in my own songs.

Maggior: thanks for the support. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind as well. I can't wait until I've created my own piece or even just a few bars that I'm really satisfied with.

Anyway, back to practicing! See you later.

~Rusty