View post (Define the word sell-out?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/18/2002 7:49 pm
Originally posted by Slasher
A lot of people see selling out as making a lot of money from music. But if someone offered you a million bucks to do an album, I think 99% of us would take it. But as long as the music stays true to what you want it to be then it's not sellin out, after all we all need to make a living. Limp Bizkit fans had a go at Fred Durst coz he moved from Jacksonville to LA. N Wes Borland left the band coz he thought they had sold out coz they were makin a lot of money and livin the high life. I don't see that as selling out myself as the music has stayed the same. But it all depends on the record label, if they change anything about you, music, fashion, lifestyle etc thats all part of a corperate machine, a cog of conformity. Changing yourself to make money thats when you've sold out, and the music is not important. But if you manage to become big, make a lotta money n not change, that would be fantastic. Knowing that there are people all around the world listning to my message would satisfy me more than the money. On the other hand money could buy me allsorts...

Oh contraire;
Staying the same because it sells well is just as much a sell out as letting a record company write your music and dictate your wardrobe. $3 Bill was an honest album. I saw LB open for Primus months before they hit it big and the album and that show were true to that disc. I thought it sucked, but that's my opinion and honestly, they were doing their thing. My brother bought that album either that night or soon after so I got a very good listen to it, and I really have to say - it was an honest album. I haven't heard a single LB song that didn't sound contrived and formulaic to me since.

Metallica on the other hand haven't done a single thing in ten years that hasn't pissed their fans off (thereby selling less records) and still gets called "sellouts." That I think is bull.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons