Pod Xt

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
02/24/2014 5:31 pm
Hi Mike, working on Empire right now which is coming along good so far. The settings you give are pretty much spot on using my V-Amp, which doesn't have a drive scale, just either on/off. I've heard different theories on whether the V-Amp (or POD I assume) can be used directly into a tube amp, and the majority seem to suggest not to do it? Can you shed any light on whether you can/can't. Thanks in advance. Dale

PS: Need more Queensryche which, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated (along with Tesla) bands of the 80s/90s...
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2014 6:21 pm
Hey Dale, one of my faves! Glad to hear you're digging into it.

You can actually put a modeller into a tube amp. There's actually a few ways to try:

1) If there's a way to turn off the speaker simultation on the V-Amp, you could turn it off and plug into the amp that way. It essentially turns the V-Amp into a pre-amp unit.

2) If your amp has an effects loop, try plugging in the output of the V-Amp into the effects return jack. The downside is that you can only control the volume from the V-Amp itself.

Most people don't recommend either of these suggestions just because the tones can vary wildly, but I've actually had some success using both of these methods, although I have had to spend some time tweaking the sounds on the modeller. If you have some time, it's a fun thing to try.

Let me know how it goes!

BTW I completely agree with you about Queensryche and Telsa, both very underrated and both two of my favorites for all time! I shot some Tesla tutorials recently, and they should be coming soon!!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
03/02/2014 9:01 pm
Thanks Mike, I do believe you can switch off the amp simulation on the V-amp so I'll start that way. Not big into using the effects loop on any amp for some reason, maybe because I haven't really taken the time to try? Anyway, thanks again and stoked to hear the Tesla news. Oh yeah, finally got the whole triplet thing down in the Empire solo. Had the notes down, just not the timing and once it clicked it's a nice little rush. Thanks...
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.