Affecting your guitar playing

Willdridge
Willdridge
05/17/2002 12:49 pm
.....So, I'll start by explainning a little. My hands had a bit of a run in with a few walls and signposts last night(for reasons I won't bore you all with) The problem is now my right hand knuckle is swollen about three times the size it should be...In itself no too much of a problem and temporary at that....
So, the question is a combination of: Have you ever done something in your personal life that a leaked over and affected your guitar playing and why do you think we risk our playing "skills"?
Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to nurse myself with some frozen food, (ahem)...lalalalala. Heheh.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 1
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
05/17/2002 1:07 pm
A couple of questions:

Did you crash your motorcycle? Is that how this happened or was it a substance that you were using that allowed you to lose control?

I am glad to hear you survived a wreck. Most folks aren't that lucky. Get well soon!

I like this board and the high level of smarts I see here as well as the love of music. This is a great place to come and not feel to bad about myself for not being very good with my guitar. Most folks in here would not get trashed and punish themselves for an unknown reason and risk the skills and talent they have. I admire that.

You folks offer encouragement and advice and I can't imagine that anything OTHER than an accident would let you lose control to the point of personal injury.

# 2
Slasher
Slasher
05/17/2002 8:53 pm
Not so much a personal thing, but I've got a cyst on my 3rd finger under the knuckle. It makes my finger ache when I play for too long and too fast. N I went to the doctors about something else n just happened to mention it. The doc said that I could have an op to have it removed. But there would be one big draw back to it. There was an extremely high risk the op would damage some muscle of something, so I wouldnt be able to use that finger ever again. I nearly had a heart attack. But the doc said I didn't need the op if I didn't want as it she said it wont get any worse. I'm pryin to god it doesn't!!!
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/17/2002 10:18 pm
Got mad and punched some stuff, huh?

Make a fist then open your hand all the way. Repeat. It hurts, but it'll encourage faster healing and you won't loose as much mobility. Having had to break boards in Tae Kwon Do, I can can assure you this works.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/18/2002 2:33 am
My left hand's been screwed since last week after playing baseball & a coupla years ago I broke it... broke my right arm 2 years ago and was out for 3 months.
It sucks & makes you think. You realize what the consequences would be if it became permanent, but
I'd still rather do stuff I like than go around being overly cautious all the time.
... course, if you got drunk and punched a few walls that's a different thing. That's why ya always keep your baseball bat with ya :)
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/18/2002 10:36 am
Rask - you're right....damn it hurts! :p I slept with something cold on it and the swelling's gone down and it feels a lot less painful when I clentch my fist...Fortunately I'm pretty certain it is just swelling and there's no permenate "damage".
A baseball bat, eh?....hmmmmmmmm...hehehe
I won't try and defend myself, I suppose if I hadn't of been drunk I perhaps wouldn't of done anything - but I had been getting wound up all night and so, to be honest, I probably would have anyway...
I too would rather be able to enjoy myself (not that I did this time!!!) without forever worrying about damaging myself and setting my playing back...

So, has anyone else had their playing set back from injuries or something? I'll expand the question from somewhat self inflicted to general injuries and the like...Cheers people, take care, see y'all around.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
05/18/2002 3:41 pm
Originally posted by Willdridge
.....So, I'll start by explainning a little. My hands had a bit of a run in with a few walls and signposts last night(for reasons I won't bore you all with) The problem is now my right hand knuckle is swollen about three times the size it should be...In itself no too much of a problem and temporary at that....
So, the question is a combination of: Have you ever done something in your personal life that a leaked over and affected your guitar playing and why do you think we risk our playing "skills"?
Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to nurse myself with some frozen food, (ahem)...lalalalala. Heheh.

Well, mentally yes, because to play guitar at our top level it requires a certain amount of mental fortitude. But heck I carried stones out to my house a few weeks ago, and everytime I picked up each rock I thought to myself "what if I slip, just one wrong movement and my days as a musician are over." Basically we always risk a lot everyday, because it's a part of life, but as musicians we can't always afford to just sit back and massage our knuckles all afternoon, we have to get to work, and continue with our normal daily routines. It's a bitch sometimes, and it can be frustrating searching for that one break as a musician, but we never stop trying. Just watch out for falling stones!!! :eek:

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/18/2002 7:54 pm
Actually, I think I'm developing carpall tunel and my wrists have given me problems for years. Basicly, I try and type correctly when possible and wear my bass up high like the dork I really am.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.