Just Learning

twohogs0105
twohogs0105
02/16/2014 2:10 pm
Hello. I'm 47 years old and just learning to play... I just bought an older Washburn WG228 electric and I've had an old Art & Luther acoustic for years. My amp is a Peavey bandit 112 silver stripe. Any information/opinions regarding the above is appreciated...
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/18/2014 8:31 am
From what I remember, Washburn is a good make. That guitar looks to have a floating trem system on it. You'll have to mind not to rest the heel of your picking hand on the bridge as you play, as doing so will likely push the guitar out of tune. Keep an allen key handy at all times as you break in the strings... you'll likely need to release the locking nuts at the top frequently in order to make larger tuning adjustments. Once broken in though, the guitar should hold its tuning quite well.

The Peavey Bandit amp should be pretty much bullet proof. You'll probably find that its tough to get a "creamy" lead tone out of it. Maybe look at investing in a decent overdrive or distortion pedal, or even a multi-effects pedal like the Zoom G5.

Technology has come a long way in recent years... something I think a lot of people miss out on is having a unit that allows you to play backing tracks and your guitar with effects at the same time. This can be done a couple of ways... you can get an all-in-one unit, like the BOSS JS10 that will allow you to load & play MP3 and .wav files, and play along with your guitar using the on-board effects, or you can get a unit that will allow you plug in an MP3 player or your computer, and has effects built in, like Korg's Pandora (an effects unit with line input) or Line 6 JAM (amp with line input).

Playing along with backing tracks is fun and a great practice tool!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.