View post (What scales should I play for these chords to come up with solos and lead parts?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/05/2014 2:06 pm
I go through the same thing. Your endurance will increase with time, but as slipin' suggests, you should come up with strategies to avoid having to play full barre chords all of the time. If you watch guitarists perform, you will see that they rarely play full barre chords constantly. It gets so bad for me that him hand will cramp up.

Using your chord progression as an example, as slipin suggests you could find other voicings around the fretboard. If you want to keep the same tone characteristics of the chords, what you could do is play the G as an open chord. It sounds almost exactly like playing the E barre shape on the 3rd fret. For your Bm, you can play that on the 2nd fret with an Am barre shape but put your index finger on the 1st string second fret rather than doing the barre across the 2nd fret. Just be sure to only strum the strings that you are fretting. For the A, you could either play it as an open chord, or do a partial barre on the 5th fret. You'd be playing the open F chord shape (which is really just a partial E shape barre chord is you look at it) on the 5th fret. For this, you could add your pinky like you would in the full barre to get a fuller sound.

Just remember that with these strategies, you want to only strum the strings that you are fretting.

I hope that makes sense. Hope that helps.