View post (What scales should I play for these chords to come up with solos and lead parts?)

View thread

NickFerra
NickFerra
02/10/2014 3:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardThis one is pretty straight forward. C Major scale is going to work really well. If it makes it easier to get started, you can think of it as A minor pentatonic. That'll get you going... but try to incorporate the full major scale if you can.

You could also use C Lydian for this progression... the fourth degree of the scale is raised from F to F#... a little tricker to fit in there, but may give some phrases an interesting sound if used with care (be careful with Lydian scales, your guitar may explode).

By the way, if you're saying that you're using the chord shapes but transposed up with the capo on the third fret, then you're going to be in the key of D# / Eb and you need to transpose to that key. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I am using the chord shapes with the capo on the third fret. So would that still be the C major scale even with the capo? or are you saying its D# / Eb scale? I am mostly familiar with pentatonic scales but would like to learn other scales too.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard] Ok, this is where my theory kind of sucks, but to my ear, it sounds like with those chords you're in the key of G Major. The G Major scale will work great with them. Again, you could think of this as E minor if you're more familiar with that scale. If you're only familiar with pentatonic scales, the E minor pentatonic will work... BUT, you're leaving out on F# and C, and those notes will really help with creating melodies, so learn the full diatonic scale if you can... staying in just one position so you don't get lost and then experimenting with the full scale, hearing how each note sounds over the chords is a good way to start.

Hope this helps!

Ok thanks for all of your help. I will record these chord progressions and play them back and play these scales over them to figure out some lead parts. I really appreciate it.

Can I get your help with one more? Bm, A, and G. I use the Bm pentatonic scale and it sounds great! I'm having fun creating some lead parts to it. Is there a major scale I can use for this progression?

Thanks man

Nick