View post (Joining a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/20/2014 1:05 pm
So last night we had a good practice session. I have FINALLY resolved one issue - I nailed the Hard to Handle solo with the band!!! We played that song through a couple of times. First time though was the usual train wreck. Second time through, at first I thought "crap, I came in too early", but then the opening phrase came out smoothly. No I didn't come in too early, I had been coming in too late all of this time!!! When I have trouble in the future, I know it's something I should examine.

Long Train Running is pretty much down. So that's 3 songs in our setlist pretty much worked out. We started on Heard it Through The Grapevine and have that down pretty well too. We came up with a version that's a bit of a hybrid of the CCR and Gladys Knight versions. I play the major 7th chords with a typical funk rhythm where as the other guitar player plays some minor stuff behind it that blends in nicely.

The issue we have now is that people will be missing over the next couple of weeks. Last night, one guy was out. Next week, somebody else will be out. We have enough runway left that we should still have enough time to all play together before the final performance to polish the performance.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on solos for the 2nd part of Hard to Handle, Long Train Running, and Heard it Through the Grapevine so I have them in my pocket. I suspect I will be leaned on for that. Just last night, the guy who has been playing bass was playing guitar for HITTGV. I figured he'd be itchin' for a solo. No, not for that song...I had to take it. Sigh...

If I do them, they will be improvised, but I like to at least work out a framework to work in. That worked well for me with Wild Night.

I didn't expect to be the "lead guitarist". It's a little uncomfortable for me, but sometimes it's a little pressrue that propels you to the next level. Fake it 'til you make it!

I'm starting to wonder what form things will take if we continue on. That's drama that will unfold later, but I want to start feeling things out now. We'll see...