59/09

01/17/2014 11:33 am
Why is my 2011 prs SE,PLUGGED INTO MY DSL,SOUNDS AMAZING .NOW I WENT AND PLUGGED IN MY USA PRS CUSTOM 24 and it sounded like crap on the overdrive channel.there both custom24´s. One that sounded amazing is the SE my practice Guitar thati play all the time without an amp. I checked the tuning it was dead on. The usa prs sounded muddy fizzy.so i plugged into my bbe blacksmith dist pedal ran it through the clean channel and it sounded allot better,but still not as good as my SE.THE SE HAS HFS VINTAGE PICKUPS.THE USA HAS 59/09 pickups.it just doesnt make and sence.im tellin ya it really sounded bad.if the neck was out could that maybe be why.i just had that Guitar sent to ptc for a complete setupso i dont think the Guitar would need any adjustments..im really thinking of replacing those pickups for prs dragons .very upset,as the Guitar wasent expensive enough.imo if you spend $3000 for a Guitar it should not need anything replaced.anyone have a prs custom 24 made in USA,year of Guitar is 2012.mint condition not a single scratch on it. I barely play it.its more like an investment.it plays well has a great feal i do love that axe .anyway thanks for reading my misery.
# 1
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/17/2014 4:31 pm
hello axe2- stew/mac just put up a new video with pick-up expert Lindy Fralin. He talked a little bit about how the wrong PICK-UP HEIGHT can make a pick-up sound bad. Something about frequencies/harmonics(?) I wish I could provide direct link but if you go to the stewart/macdonald site it should be easy to find.

I don't know if that's any part of your problem but it might be worth looking at? My son/law plays a USA PRS with stock pick-ups and the clarity/definition is very,very good. I have several SE's and I don't feel any need/urge to change the pick-ups... I like them a lot.

With the really good amp you're using that USA should be a monster. Sounds like u might just need a tweak somewhere.Good Luck
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/18/2014 5:02 am
Originally Posted by: fretsmith
With the really good amp you're using that USA should be a monster. Sounds like u might just need a tweak somewhere.Good Luck

I'm with Fretsmith... it could be a tweak needed on the guitar, but why not start from scratch, and try seeing if you can just get a good sound by altering your DSL settings. Play around with it, disregarding what makes the other guitar sound good... maybe this one shines with different settings.
# 3
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/24/2014 11:48 pm
Hey axe- I saw in another thread you're playing a Blackstar now. Did you get that to replace your Marshall ... or do you have both? Just curious...

Also ... PLAY that USA !! That's a guitar to play, not to be a case queen. Strap that baby on and make it your bitch! :)
# 4

04/21/2014 6:25 pm
Good point guys,raised the bridge pickup and the neck too.what a difference it made.thanks fretsmith,slip.....
I geuss i tend to get alittle excited.haha
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.