View post (Pro Tools or real Studio?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/28/2014 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior I have a simple 2 channel Yamaha USB audio interface and don't have any latency isssues. The same holds true for my Zoom G5.

While I appreciate the effort, I'm not certain that we're really talking about the same thing in terms of latency issues. Recording one or two tracks isn't a problem, I've done the same thing myself, years ago. Its when you start adding up multiple tracks with effects that latency issues start to emerge.

The Zoom G5 shouldn't have any "latency" issues from what I understand, as latency has to do with sound being processed through a computers sound card, and then back to a monitor. If you're using the Zoom G5, you're not relying on the sound card to emulate amps and add effects, so its not really applicable here.

So just to be clear, I'm not new to this, as in "ohhhh.. you can plug your guitar into your computer and record it..." been there, done that. I'm talking about extensive multi-tracking, with effects added... with something like the Korg D3200, using its onboard effects as well as the several rack units I own, I have no issues at all... it works just like a tape deck. Hit record, record a track, repeat until all 24 or 32 tracks are full, add effects along the way, no problem. The Korg still retains many advantages over tape recording that you would expect of a digital unit... I'm just saying there's no latency issues either. There's no "well, we can't add reverb to that track right now because we're trying to record something else..." It just works. I'm sure Pro Tools just works too... I'm just not sure of what the exact lengths one has to go to where problems like latency are no longer an issue.